Saturday, May 12, 2007

not so QUICK UPDATE ON THE CURRENT PAST (by the less efficient Mishka)


We are in Manaus, Amazonas State, Brazil. Do you know how long I have dreamed of seeing the Amazon River? A lot! Ever since I have been a weak, geeky kid reading books about Indians and white explorers crashing on the shore, with all the sailors dead, the one survivor befriending the Indians and learning their ways. I get flustered just thinking about it.
Just a quick update though. We said our goodbyes and gave our farewells in Lençois. It was hard to leave. The last 3 weeks there seemed magical. We've met the most kindest and interesting people there. Its funny how just being open and friendly puts you in the most interesting and rewarding situations. We sat on the bus and fell asleep. We arrived in Salvador in the morning and spent the next 24 hours either being in the airport or on a plane (which was not at all as bad as it sounds, it was actually great). And finally we arrived in Manaus.
We are in the wildest and possibly most undiscovered forest on Earth. Did you know that Brazilians have just 30 years ago, discovered an unknown Indian tribe? Yeah, they did. The sad thing is that about 14% of the forest has already been destroyed. We all heard about how incredible this place is: pink dolphins swimming next to "jammed up" flesh eating Pirhannas, and the medicinal qualities of the plants growing here. You know, they say if there's a cure for Cancer, it will be found here.
A new adventure begins...

2 comments:

Chris Montrose said...

I hear that your journeys are taking you to Peru! Send some love to the Inca from me. I hear there is some crazy sandboarding at Huacachina...you must do this!!!! BE EXTREME FOR ME! Haha. Much love people.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys
It's so nice to read you story. I fell like I know all these people you mention. Do you have any plans what to do and what to see or you will go with flow of Amazon river?
I was so happy to hear your voices.
Mishka! I received your letter. Thank you so much for all incredible words. This is really warm up my soul. Thanks.
Love you and kiss you