Thursday, February 22, 2007

Project: Replace Water Storage Tank for Centro

Hey you plumbing fanatics. I know you're out there...are you? Well I will at least pretend that you are.

First, I have to say that Brazilian plumbing is very primitive compared to the good old U.S. of A. It's kind of like it was back in the old days before such things as codes were put in place because people started getting sick. Out here in the rainforest we don't have things like pumps, pipes having to be straight or glued for that matter, etc. What we do here is run a hose up a mountain stream, make sure it is higher than the house and the water storage tank and we have potable water (sort of). It kind of looks like this-my job today:
The tank is above the house, hence water will come out of the sink, shower, toilet, etc. by gravity. The hose leading up to the top of the tank comes from the mountain stream that we talked about and all those zig-zagging pipes all over the place feed the fixtures. Pretty simple, though I don't think the Clifton plumbing inspector would be as happy as I am about the job. Everything looks pretty simple and maybe even easy, but trust me my dear friends, it is everything but. First my tools and supplies were a little lacking... take a look:
Richie Z, thanks for the leatherman. And to top it off I even had a helper:Yeah... I know what you're thinking, but he certainly wasn't my first choice.

The supply department in Iracambi wasn't too good either, but we made do with fittings with holes in 'em, and so on. My biggest tool though was my good old fashioned American ingenuity, which helped me create, invent, and improvize things to kind of work. After much toil and frustration-WE GOT 'ER DONE! (I love you baby!)

Also if you're curious, here is our sewage treatment facility- beautiful, huh?:In addition, it is also a lot of fun from swimming to relaxing on the shore to jumping in from rocks!

I am also in the process of installing a solar water heating system, which you will have to wait for in the upcoming blogs. Till we meet again my good friends.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

First thing first..."How u doin"
LOL. Lovin the outfits, you sure fit right in!!! NICE!
Post some pics of your and Sasha's short but wonderful reunion. Miss you!

Jofka (the merger of Julie and Sofka)

Anonymous said...

Mike - i so enjoy reading your daily posts and pictures. You make me smile even from thousands of miles away! Miss you
Kristen

Unknown said...

I can't believe the work you guys have put into this blog it's wonderful!! Really can see what a good time you are having!! Mike you can really go with the flow!!! Have you had a chance to use skpe yet??? Really miss you, can believe you been gone so long already Julie started whining immediately after you left that she missed you!!
Happy Valentine's Day too!!
Be safe, love Juli-Ann the sister you really want!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Kotkin
I hope you survived the surprise Sasha made for you. I am so happy she visited your place and you could walked her around like a real resident. From e-mail I received it is clear that you guys have too much fun. Have it all. It is your Time.
Love you
Mama Raya

Unknown said...

Hi Sasha, Zhenya, Mishka,Talia, Avi
Happy Purim to everyone.
Sasha sorry I missed your call. I was in Mila's house busy eating Humantashs - ask Talia what is it
Hope next time we will be luckier and have chance to talk.
Love you all
Mom Raya

Anonymous said...

miska and harem! I love you all! Miss talking to you.I really enjoy reading yours blogs.Very,very interesting.I wish be there too.Rich and I alright.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys
What is going on?
We all are waiting for new pictures.
Stories will be good too. At least
couple words. Where are you? Auuuuuu
Raya

Flo said...

Hi Mike!!!!

Finally i found your amazing blog.
I forgot the name.
I'm happy to see that your sentimental relation with the KING OF PEBA is OK...
I miss you everybody

I hope you can read this

Whit love !!!!!

Peba 1........Andrea from Italy

PS
Tell to Claudio that soon i will send to him the lyrics of the song that he wants...He knows what I'm talking about...