Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Hello Brazil!!! Jan. 29-Feb. 2

Bon dias! Hey everybody! I’m alive!!! I got to Brazil safe and sound with more than one inconvenience. First, I missed my connecting flight from Sao Paolo to Rio de Janeiro, then my debit card was not accepted at any of the ATMs, which is never great if you are in a foreign country with no money, not to mention no knowledge of the language. But everything always works out, so I found a machine that worked and caught another flight to Rio.
Since I missed my connecting flight earlier, I had to catch a much later bus to Muriae´, one of the stops on my journey, and would have to look for a motel room for the night. Luckily for me (I am very lucky), I met a great young Brasiliero named Pedro who was on his way home to Muriae´ from Paris and London. We introduced ourselves and got to talking. I told him that I had to stop for the night in his town and he offered to help me find a safe place. When we arrived it was very late and Pedro’s family was waiting for him at the bus stop. He walked away to greet them and came back to tell me that they owned a motel in town and would gladly treat me with a room for the night. I gratefully accepted their offer and they drove me away to a dark alley to kill and rob me. I'm kidding mom. They took me to their motel and put me up in a room. It was great. The room was equipped with a jacuzzi, air conditioning, and condoms. I took advantage of everything except for the latter and went to sleep. The following morning, Pedro met me at the motel and after a delicious lunch proceeded to show me his city, his mother's candle factory, and even took me to see his grandmother in a neighboring town. It was so wonderful and I could not expect better hospitality. Afterwards they drove me to the bus stop, from where I would continue on the last leg of my journey. We waved goodbye and separated. Pedro’s mom. She loves it when I say “obrigado”

I got to Iracambi that evening. And even though it was getting dark, I did not fail to see the beauty of this place. Green hills and mountains, wild flowers of every color growing everywhere, (makes you wonder how much more amazing this place would have looked like if the Gringos haven’t cut down most of the rainforest) tiny little dirt roads that would seem impassable. At least to my little, old taxi driver who was driving an old VW Bug. I met the volunteers the following day, who were very friendly and from many parts of the world (England, Italy, Spain, and U.S.A.). Maybe not many. I have been here for three days and I am sun burnt, sore from walking up big hills, but very happy.
That’s me looking tough after a day of digging. Beautiful view, huh?

And of course, this is me at a plumbing supply in Muriae´. I couldn’t help myself.

No comments: