Saturday, February 10, 2007

Beleza! & Bloco do Popogayo

Due to high demand (mostly from my demanding sister), here is another blog. First, Beleza. What is Beleza? Beleza is beautiful. How do you feel? Beleza. My love? Beleza. This is how Beleza looks like:
Where do I start? I feel great, though my maiden is not with me right now. This weekend I left gorgeous Iracambi to go back to Muriae', just for the weekend. And hang out with the most generous and hospitable man south of the equator, Pedro. But first, back at Iracambi past Friday we had a wonderful birthday dinner for our newest volunteer, Alexandro. He was really happy. And even though I don't like to brag, I drew the card. Then the following morning we took off on the motorbike to Muriae'.I am very glad that I chose to wear shades, otherwise you guys would be able to see the fear in my eyes. Junior, one of the employees of Iracambi, is a thrillseeking daredevil. Luckily, I survived. Now I want to get a bike myself. I got to Muriae´ to meet up with my totally awesome buddy, Pedro. But while I was waiting at one of the local bar/lunchonette look what I came across:


A most amazing invention, "mictório". A urinal and a sink in one. WOW! Definately makes you feel less guilty about peeing in the sink back home, huh? So of course, I pulled out my trusty digital camera and started snapping pictures. I soon met up with Pedro. And before I go on, I must say a word about him. He is the greatest, most generous and hospitable guy this side of the Amazon! He absolutely refuses me when I want to pay for anything, takes me to see places, puts me up for the night... and even though he is about half my size, I give in. My only wish is that I may have the opportunity to return his hospitality. Anyway, we met up and he brought me to meet his friends, while we enjoyed some Brazilian ice cream. Of course, I ordered the only flavor I ever have: strawberry with strawberry topping.

From left: Fernanda, Rafael, Mirelle, my Pedro, and old me.

We hung out for a while. The guys calling each other: Peba, Viado, Vinte e Dois (slang for gay). I was used to this talk. Then we let each other go only to meet up again that evening for a town festival, "Bloco do Popogayo". A big block party. Thats me in the middle dancing my butt off and making a fool of myself at the same time. For me, very easy to do. Thats my crew above.

During the festival, Pedro was watching me like a hawk. Protecting me from thieves and evildoers. Thanks Pedro. And after, we went to eat. I ordered this amazingly simple sandwich that was so good. (Pedro's recommendation.) A long roll with grilled chicken, potato sticks, mayo and ketchup. Sooo good! Here's a pic:

Thats all folks. My weekend was great. Everything here is so beautiful, the people, the trees, flowers, mountains. Beleza! Here are some pics:

And a pretty cool moth! I almost forgot. Happy Valentine's Day everybody!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mishka - Wow just think when you get back you will be able to speak to Tony in his lingo. It looks as if you are having an awesome time, the pictures are great and I the reading is awesome. Take care and give Sasha our love once you see her.

Love Ya - Tony & Lisa

Anonymous said...

Mishinka,

Great pics!! I like the dog. LOL he's so funy looking. Looks like you're having fun. Iwish I could come visit you guys.


Jofka

Anonymous said...

BELEZA!!

Jinhos xxx

Kelly