Thursday, September 27, 2007

Happy "Coming-to-America"!!! 09/27/07

Today, my family and I celebrate our arrival into the ol´U.S. of A. Yup, 18 years ago, we left Ukraine (Russia at the time) and headed for the "Land of Gold" where money was laying on the streets and the weather was always perfect and warm. We landed in JFK airport with a hundred dollars and two suitcases . . . who needs warm clothes, right!?? It wasn´t an easy start and sure took a lot of getting used to . . . but we were a happy bunch, and overcame the impossible year after year.Most of the compliments go to my parents of course, who had to deal with a totally different kind of pressure . . . children! Finding a job, a place to live, learning English, affording food, and clothes, and on and on and on . . . and then you add two little kids to the equation. But they were total survivors, warriors really, and their strength and courage will impress me and inspire me forever. I don´t think that I can say it enough really, or find the right words, but I am so proud to be part of this family. I am just so proud. Thank you. I love you. Congratulations!

2 comments:

odysseus and me said...

Sashenka, you're awesome! What a remembrance of the journey. God, I think back to the first year or so and it was just dumbfounding, getting used to the culture, the people, the food, the new situation. Unbelievable! I think in some small way, instead of the new stuff scaring us and keeping us in the boundaries of this country, you and I just thrive in adaptability and soak in the new culture and the new life. All credit should and does go to that tight cell of a family that boarded that train in Kiev and, 3 months later, got off the plain in JFK.

Unknown said...

Sanushenka
Thank you so much for these warm and touching memory. You've grab my heart completely. Now it is your turn to be survivor and test yourself. Let God bless your path.
Love you
Mama